Imagine there was a product that allowed you to transform various everyday objects, including basically any wall, into a perfectly usable chalkboard. Now, you can stop imagining because that product exists. Chalkboard paint is an incredibly useful product that is capable of producing sleek, hard and smooth slate-like surfaces that you can write on using chalk. In order to help you choose the best chalkboard paint for your needs, this guide will go over five of the best such products on the market. Additionally, it will provide you with useful tips for buying and using chalkboard paint.
|Rust-Oleum Chalkboard Paint
|Krylon K05223000 Chalkboard Paint
FOR PAINTING WITH KIDS
|FolkArt Chalkboard Paint
FOR INTERIOR DESIGN
|Colorhouse Interior Chalkboard Paint
FOR ART PROJECTS
|DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamels Chalkboard Carded Paint
1. Rust-Oleum Chalkboard Paint – Best Scratch-Resistant Chalkboard Paint
Ready for application straight out of the can, the Rust-Oleum 206540 is a no-nonsense type of chalkboard paint. It comes in a practical 30 fl. oz. can that makes application direct and quick. There are three different color options for this product: Black, clear and the classic green. The correct application of this paint results in a hard non-porous surface that is fully writeable and erasable. Meant for indoor use only, it can convert a variety of surfaces into fully functional chalkboards.
The Rust-Oleum 206540 was designed to be an all-encompassing, versatile solution for converting a wide range of objects into usable chalkboards. To this end, it can be applied to a variety of materials, including wood, metal, plastic, glass, paperboard, and hardboard. No matter which one of these materials you use it on, however, the result is always the same: An incredibly hard, non-porous and smooth surface that is both writeable and erasable.
Due to its practicality, the Rust-Oleum 206540 can be used in a variety of contexts with equally-satisfying results. Of course, its main applications are didactic. It can help produce writable and erasable surfaces basically anywhere, helping create an environment that is conducive to the exchange of information. However, it can also be used for decoration.
Because of its high level of quality, this paint can be used in both industrial or domestic situations. At the same time, however, its application is straightforward and simple enough that even the most inexperienced person can get positive results from it. It is so easy to apply and use, in fact, that it can be used as a didactic tool on its own, transforming various mundane objects into beautiful and useful writeable surfaces.
- Can be cleaned with soap and water.
- Scratch and blemish resistant.
- Ultra hard.
- Clean erasing.
- Indoor use only
- Chalkboard markers are difficult to clean off.
- Very thick consistency.
- Difficult to apply.
Taking everything into account, this chalkboard paint is definitely worth buying. Apart from being straightforward and practical, it can be used to transform basically anything into a writeable chalkboard. As a result, it can be used in a variety of contexts and with different objectives. Furthermore, the hardness and resistance to scratches of the finished product are remarkable, adding to the durability and reliability of each finished piece. As if this wasn’t enough, the same product can be purchased in a convenient spray presentation (Rust-Oleum 1913830).
2. Krylon K05223000 Chalkboard Paint – Best Quick Dry Chalkboard Paint
The Krylon K05223000 Chalkboard Paint comes in both a one-quart can and a spray presentation that allows an easy application process. Despite its relative thinness, once dried, it creates a tough slate-like chalkboard surface. The drying process takes around 15 minutes when the product is sprayed on. On the other hand, if brushed on, the product can take up to 60 minutes to dry.
Remarkably practical and easy to apply, the Krylon K05223000 is capable of transforming surfaces of different materials (wood, metal, glass, plaster, ceramic) into chalkboard in a matter of minutes. Despite the fact that, due to the consistency of the product, this application is not likely to be the thickest, it dries up very hard. The result is a slate-like surface that is both durable and scratch-resistant.
Practical, user-friendly and quick-drying, the Krylon K05223000 can be used for creating chalkboard surfaces cheaply, easily and reliably. Due to these features, it is great for producing disposable writing surfaces, decorative pieces or restoring already-existent chalkboards.
The Krylon K05223000 stands out due to its impressive level of efficiency and practicality. It is truly special to see a mundane object turn into a writable and erasable surface in a matter of minutes. Combine this with its ability to be used on a wide range of materials and you get a guerrilla chalkboard paint that makes efficiency and practicality its main objectives.
- Long-lasting finish.
- Creates a slate-like surface.
- Easy application.
- Both brush-on and aerosol options.
- Dries fast.
- Indoor use only.
- Difficult to erase.
- The can is difficult to properly seal.
Everything considered, it is easy to see why the Krylon K05223000 has become so popular, particularly among creative individuals who are constantly on-the-go. Without a doubt, its spray presentation makes things even more convenient, creating a chalkboard surface that dried up in 15 minutes. Meanwhile, its one-quart can presentation for brush-on application allows you to get a thicker, more controlled finish. Overall, this is a valuable product worth looking into. Whether distributed by Krylon itself or CraftyCrocodile, it is a reliable and efficient chalkboard paint.
3. FolkArt Chalkboard Paint – Best Chalkboard Paint for Painting with Kids
Meant with didactic and recreational purposes, this FolkArt product comes in a compact and comfortable wide-mouth container that makes the application process a lot easier. With safety as a priority, this acrylic-based chalkboard paint is water-based and non-toxic. It comes in various colors that include both the classics (black, green) and others that are more kid-friendly (hot pink, electric blue).
Taking into account its advantages and benefits, it can be said with confidence that this product is very valuable. While some of its characteristics do not lend themselves well to industrial applications, the FolkArt Chalkboard Paint works perfectly as a go-to resource for art projects, interior design, decoration, touchups and even fashion creation.
Water-based, non-toxic and presented in a practical 8 fl. oz. container, this chalkboard paint is great for educational work and kids entertainment. However, due to its high quality, it can also be used for decorating furniture, children’s gifts and more. Such is this versatility, that the FolkArt Chalkboard Paint is loved by teachers, artists, interior designers and industrious homeowners alike.
Due to its non-toxic composition, this chalkboard paint can be used by kids and adults alike. Straightforward and efficient, it lends itself perfectly to everything from interior design to school art projects. Furthermore, it can be used by business owners to make creative signs for advertising their products or letting customers find out about special offers.
- Quick and easy application.
- Comes in various different colors.
- Wide-mouth jar.
- Quick dry.
- Water based.
- Requires chalk conditioning.
- Does not hold chalk as well as other products.
- Not hard or resistant enough to be used reliably over time.
All in all, the FolkArt Chalkboard Paint is a good product when what you need is to add detail or finer touches to an unfinished project. At the same time, it works fantastically as an educational tool, particularly when it comes to art or design projects.
On the other hand, this product’s resulting surface is not thick or hard enough to be used consistently for writing. At the same time, it requires a lot of conditioning using chalk to be ready for use. Overall, it is only recommended as a go-to aid for small details or small art projects.
4. Colorhouse Interior Chalkboard Paint – Best Chalkboard Paint for Interior Design
Low-odor and environmentally friendly, the Colorhouse Interior Chalkboard Paint is very easy to work with. Each large can has 846 milliliters of thick, luscious paint. There are various colors that this product comes in, including, among others, red, gray, purple and navy green. Of course, there are also classic options such as black and dark green.
Without producing side-effects that harm the environment, this Colorhouse product manages to offer a thick, dense and consistent product that produces a superior coverage. When it dries, the Interior Chalkboard Paint turns incredibly hard and very smooth. What is more, its consistency prevents it from forming bubbles or air pockets that would otherwise ruin the flatness and smoothness of the surface.
When dry, this paint produces a thick, smooth, scratch resistant and durable surface that is both writeable and erasable. As a result, this paint is great for both interior design and industrial applications. Astoundingly, this chalkboard paint can also be used as a matte paint for home renovation purposes. As a matter of fact, it can even be used to paint house walls.
- Low odor.
- Mold and mildew resistant.
- Self-priming for previously painted surfaces.
- Very slow drying (48 hours).
- Colors may vary from the packaging representation.
- Can may leak.
Taking account that it is a product oriented towards interior design, it can be confidently stated that this is one of the best products of its kind. Features such as low-odor, mold resistance, mildew resistance and washability make it an excellent choice for schools, businesses and homes alike. Additionally, its durability, fast drying and toughness make it a great option for industrial applications.
5. DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamels Chalkboard Carded Paint – Best Chalkboard Paint for Art Projects
The final product on this list comes in a portable and compact 2 fl. oz. presentation that makes it ideal for artistic endeavors. Applied to materials such as glass or wood, it dries to a hard finish, allowing writing with chalk almost immediately after application. Non-toxic and producing a low environmental impact, it’s also a very safe product to use.
While it is not recommended for industrial or other similarly-extensive applications, the DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamels Chalkboard Carded Paint is incredibly versatile. Despite its quick drying abilities, it dries to a hard finish, resulting in durability and resistance to wear and tear. Once dried, the chalkboard is fully writeable and erasable. Small and easy to apply, this paint is great for stencils and other detail-oriented artistic projects.
Even though it can be used on a variety of materials, the DecoArt Americana Gloss Enamels Chalkboard Carded Paint is at its best when applied on glass. As a result, it is a great option for artistic or decorative projects that involve glassware or crystalware of any kind. At the same time, this feature makes the product especially well-suited for interior design techniques that incorporate windows into the mix.
- Dries to a hard finish.
- Can be baked on glass for added durability.
- Perfect for stencil use.
- Allows soap and water cleanup.
- Thick consistency.
- Difficult to apply.
With everything on the table, it’s easy to tell where this product excels and where it fails. While its precision and efficiency make it a great option for decorative and artistic endeavors, it’s not well-suited for industrial applications or extensive interior design projects. Overall, this DecoArt product is recommended for adding finer details and finishing larger works.
How to Apply Chalkboard Paint
1. Calculate the amount you need: Before choosing a particular product, make a quick calculation to know how much you will need. Painting a portion of a surface first and the other part later may result in visible differences in consistency and color.
2. Prepare the area: Before attempting to use chalkboard paint on any area, it’s important to prepare it. First, use a damp rag to clean the surface you are about to paint. Try to remove every bit of dust and dirt. If possible, try to remove any marks or inconsistencies from the surface as well. During the cleaning process, determine whether there are bumps or imperfections on the surface that need to be smoothed out. If that is the case, sand the surface very lightly and then give it a last wipe down.
3. Fill all the cracks: If you see any holes or cracks on the surface, fill them out before setting out the apply the paint. To accomplish this, you may use wood putty, drywall filler or various other materials. Before buying a filler, however, make sure it’s right for the type of surface you are painting.
4. Stir paint carefully: In many cases, chalkboard paint can lose stability if you stir it too hard or for too long. This will cause it to break down more easily after application. For that reason, stir it carefully and calmly.
5. Apply the chalkboard paint: Finally, the time has come to apply the paint. Try to start in the middle of the area you are painting, working your way outward with precise, deliberate strokes. Work consistently but quickly, aiming at covering the entire surface before any of the paint has had time to dry. Taking into account that the surface needs to be as smooth and flat as possible, try to be thorough and precise.
6. Allow to dry: Although the amount varies according to each product, it’s always necessary to allow a chalkboard paint to dry before using it.
7. Condition with chalk: Some chalkboard paints work better after they have been conditioned using chalk. Simply, rub the chalk over the entire surface of the chalkboard. Leave it there for a couple of minutes and erase it. Repeat this process a couple of times for best results.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Paint Over Chalkboard Paint?
Normally, it is possible to paint over chalkboard paint. However, water and oil-based paints tend not to hold very well when applied over chalkboard paint. For best results, it is recommended to use acrylic paints. Additionally, it’s important to take the color and the tone of the paint into account. If it’s too light, it may be necessary to apply various layers before a satisfactory result can be obtained.
Do You Need Primer for Chalkboard Paint?
Typically, primer is not necessary as long as the existing wall’s finish is flat or matter. Furthermore, its color should be lighter than that of your chalkboard paint. If those two conditions are met, you will not need to use primer before applying the chalkboard paint.
Is Chalkboard Paint Magnetic?
On its own, chalkboard paint is not magnetic. However, you can use a magnetic primer before applying the chalkboard paint. The result will be a chalkboard that also has magnetic properties.
How Many Coats of Chalkboard Paint Should be Used?
The number of chalkboard paint coats that you should use depends, among other factors, on the thickness and consistency of the product. Typically, however, two or three coats of paint should do the job just fine.
Having gone over the five products featured in this guide, it’s easy to understand what makes a truly good blackboard paint. Easy to use, beautiful, efficient and durable, all five products are worth looking into. Hopefully, this information will help you choose the perfect one for your particular needs.